Saturday, March 12, 2011

Revising My Life

I've been thinking a lot about second chances at this point in my life, because of this, my second pregnancy. I think about how I did things the first time around and how I did things the second time around and I think..."What do I want to do differently this time?" 

Thankfully, I think most of the things I want to repeat. Most of the decisions I made as a pregnant woman, nursing mother, and now as the mother of a toddler, I'm happy with. 

But I am human. There are things I wish I did differently. And it has me thinking about my life. 

We don't get a lot of second tries or do overs. But tomorrow I start revising Compis and so I can't help thinking about Six Keys. 

I love Six Keys. I think it's a great story (I'm biased, please forgive me.) Is there anything I would change? 

Well, I've been thinking, maybe that it's the process I've been having trouble with. 
Process: 
1) have an idea -never a problem for a scatterbrained dreamer with her head constantly in the clouds and not on the 2 year old saying, "Mama, watch this!" 
2) Write out an outline and cram a notebook full of ideas until... 
3) Write out the first draft. For Six Keys it took years. This time around it took about 2 mths. Sure, I'm no Amanda Hocking. I have a full time job -running after my kidlet. 2 mths was pretty fast for me. 
4)Revise 
5)Print out a proof. 
6)Pass it around to friends and family. 
7)Take Feedback. 
8)Revise again. 
9)Revise again. 
10)Pass around to a few people who are English freaks and like to nitpick (thanks, Mom!) 
11)Revise again. 
12)Release. 

Is this how I want to do things this time around? I'm in the process of trying to figure it out. Thank goodness I have the opportunity to do so.

No comments: