Sunday, February 24, 2013

Title Troubles...

Hello readers and fellow ROWers,

I hope this week has been a productive one for you.  It has for me!  I wrote about... 5,000 words?  Yay!  This whole Little C. sleeping through the night stuff is really working for me, won't lie.  I also did a heap of edits this week and will continue to do some storyline tweaking for Terris.  I just had an EPIPHANY this week for Nikka's storyline.  There was something that has been nagging me about the end of her storyline, something that has bothered me for a while, and I just figured out the answer.  So great to feel like I got rid of an issue before it came up and I'd written 15,000 words *cough* Zyander *cough* for it.

But all that good news can't come without a price.  Guys, I am having some titling troubles.  This has happened before, sadly enough.  The Angel & Her Gun is still not a title I'm happy with, but I couldn't think of anything better.  Even now, when I hear it I think... spy book.  Am I right?  Thankfully the angel in question does at least carry a gun (colt .44), but man alive, it was hard enough coming up with that one.

I have two book titles nagging at me.  I have the final book of the Five Tribes series to come up with, and the title of the side project.  The first one doesn't have to be chosen for quite a while.  (Another 3 years, though hopefully sooner)  I don't want to tell you why I'm having trouble with that title, because I don't want to be spoilery, but I can tell you that it won't be Sanguis.  I mean, you would think it would be, but nope.  Just like Compis, it's not going to be named after a tribe.

The second is like a novella type thingy and I picked a title, which has "bored" in it.  The Bored <word>.  My sister immediately put the kabosh on the word bored, though.  Her contention is that putting the word bored in the title will make people think the STORY is boring.  Which made me go...huh?  I mean, if I said BORING in the title I could see her point, but boring is different than bored, right?

Seeking opinions, readers.  Because if this title doesn't work, I'm stumped!  I told her I will release it as The Untitled Work.

I wasn't this uncertain before.  It was never hard for me to come up with a title.  In fact, most of the time I had the title picked before most of the book was written.  But lately, I've lost my titling confidence.  I've lost my mojo.

I need to get it back, somehow.  In the meantime, I'll be here, trying to think of titles.

Happy Reading!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I agree with your sister, Kate -- I wouldn't put bored in a title! I mean, if the character is bored, how exciting can the book be, you know? :) I might make an exception for a prince or a billionaire, something that doesn't fit at first glance, but the The Bored Librarian or the The Bored Boyfriend ... you get the idea. :)

And yes, the Angel and Her Gun sounds like a spy or thriller. Sounds like it's a Western, huh?

Congrats on all the words and have a great week!

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! Titles are my weakness! My current WIP has A title, but like you, I'm not sold on it and can't think of anything better!

I do agree, though, The Angel and her Gun makes me think film noir or some such. Hope you come up with something soon and it doesn't cause you too much pain!

Deniz Bevan said...

Aww, I love coming up with titles! There's lots you can do - read a dictionary or thesaurus and wait for words to jump out at you... Try some random title generator on the internet... Mix up some words from the titles of your favourite books...

Actually, this reminds me, I've got a few titles I need to look up myself :-)

CASS said...

What is the book about??

Anonymous said...

Way to go on the wordage!

I'm awful at titles, LOL. Good luck.

Have a fabulous week :)