Sunday, February 10, 2013

Accentuate the Positive...

Okay, so normally my week is like this:



Seriously, between regular kid stuff (children that need feeding, clothing, bathing and putting to bed at various times), and house stuff and running around all over the place... sometimes I'm just totally overwhelmed by LIFE.  I know I'm not the only one.

It's hard not to let the exterior CRAP get you down.  Everywhere I look, I see blog entries and news reports on how INDIES ARE SO OVER and DON'T BOTHER WRITING ANOTHER WORD BECAUSE NO ONE WILL EVER READ IT OR DISCOVER IT or YOU ARE A TALENTLESS LOSER (Okay, so maybe I told myself that one.)  Seriously, the doom and gloom of the new year are truly horrendous.  Right and left, everyone is predicting that the sky is falling.

Is it falling?  Maybe.  Should we worry?  Well, I don't see how that's going to help.  Is it worth being depressed over... well, that's tempting, I'm sure, but it isn't going to pay the bills.  (Or get another book out there, now is it?)

Personally, I've battened down the hatches.  I don't read the negativity and I avoid anything that's going to be a distraction from my writing.  And thanks to Little C's MUCH BETTER sleeping habits, I have way more energy and time to write.

On that front, I wrote 4 chapters for Terris this week: two chapters for Nikka and two for Zyander.  I also went back and did some necessary story edits for the side project, because the flow was off.  It's fixed nicely now and hopefully back on track.  So in all, I think this week was very successful and that is something I want to focus on. :)

Good luck to the rest of the writers out there and happy reading!

2 comments:

Candice.Abraham said...

I love your attitude Kate! Thanks for sharing and good luck with your projects this week!

Anonymous said...

I agree Kate, stay away from the negativity. I see just as many headlines saying that Indie is going so well, it's hijacking regular publishing and the big names will die. Whatever. All reporting comes with a bias. I just get on with what I am doing.

Keep working. You're worth it and not a talented hack!

Cheers.