Wednesday, January 18, 2012

ROW and Link Happy Day!

So, I'm home again and somewhat better, but as is the case with EVERYONE who leaves home and is gone about a month(yes, a month), I have so many many things to get done.  I've written NOTHING in Aeris.  But that's okay, because I HAVE been writing!  I have.

I wrote a short story that I have no audience for, as far I can tell and I'm currently writing another short story that has something of an audience.  I'm not sure what to do with these stories... I'm thinking about putting together a collection and trying out that Kindle Select Prime thingy.

BUT LET ME BE CLEAR... NONE of my books(Compis, Aeris, Six Keys or any of my Angelic Agents books —both of which you can get for free on Smashwords if you like Fantasy Western Romances) will ever be exclusively anywhere.  I feel pretty strongly about everyone having access to them.  I love Smashwords and what it represents and the fact that it's super flexible.

Probably half of the letters that I've gotten from readers telling me how much they enjoyed Compis are from people who didn't buy them on Amazon (although my sales at other venues continue to be minimal in comparison).  What does that tell me?  Well, people who buy on Kindle care less about letting me know if they liked my book or not.  Not sure why.  I guess it's a different kind of reader.  Anyway, I have no desire to piss off my readers.  I love them.  However, I must try it, because Konrath demands we try new things as authors.  I've made a commitment to try several new things this year and this will be one of them.  The others will be announced soon.

So to summarize: Weird little stories about girls with keyhole universes and psychotic androids, YES.  Books that people actually read and comment on, NO.

I have read some of the MOST INTERESTING articles ever in the past week.  BTW, I just want to say again how much I LOVE the passive voice.  It is hands down (besides Konrath) one of the best resources for writers out there.  Here are a few of the stories I found most fascinating this week.

Amazon wants to kill publishers??


Readers Taste in Books vs. Publishers Taste in Books


This one is particularly good: Investing in Your Future (as a writer)


Writers Will Work for Cheap


Writer vs. Author


Enjoy all these, good luck in your goals, and Happy Reading!

9 comments:

amy kennedy said...

Hello Kate, a fellow Round of word-er here. I'm so happy I stumbled on your blog -- weird tales with no audience sound like a perfect read! I'm going to check out your books and continue to read your blog -- thanks for the links.

And, I think Konrath is genius.

Kate said...

@ Amy: I second that. Konrath IS a genius. He is also a wee bit abrasive at times, but I think that is part of his charm.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the stories. I completely understand a story without an audience. But don't give up on them. The one I felt had no chance ever ended up getting published. I still have several stories just taking up dust in a Scrivener file because I can't find a home for them. Keep up the great work!

Deniz Bevan said...

Congratulations on writing!
I love Smashwords too - especially cos I (gasp!) don't have an ereader yet, and I print out pdfs! (double sided, usually four pages per side)

Tia Bach said...

Wow. Thanks for the great links. I'm going to take some time to read them.

Your thoughts about Kindle readers is interesting. I feel like the reviews I get are from people who let me know they loved a book and I ask them to leave a review. I only have one review on Amazon that popped up unexpectedly.

I'm off to write and do my Sunday check in. Hope you have a great week!

Kate said...

@ Ryan: Thanks for the encouragement! I don't plan on giving up on my weird little stories. I plan to stick a cover on them, and put them up on the web for whoever wants to read them. :)

Kate said...

@Deniz: Do you mean that you PRINTED OUT COMPIS??? Seriously, you could have told me you don't have an ereader and we could have come to some sort of arrangement for your free book! :)

Also, save your pennies and get a kindle. They are FAB!

Kate said...

@ Tia: I always encourage readers that leave me email feedback (good or bad) to use Amazon and goodreads to state their opinions about the book. The one that surprised me was a lady that read Compis and emailed me praise and constructive feedback. When I emailed her back with some gracious comments she actually mentioned it in her review! I was floored and it was a good lesson to me to always be polite to your readers. :) (Not that I wouldn't)

Deniz Bevan said...

I did! I printed it at two pages per side, double sided... Not so bad :-)