Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Crankypants Syndrome

My husband is in charge of the deviled eggs for Thanksgiving this year (his assignment from Grandma) and when I reminded him of this on his way out the door, he said, "Oh, do I need to get anything?  Like that deviled egg powder?"  To which I said...

I mean, I didn't know there was such a thing as deviled egg powder.  Turns out, he meant paprika!  hahaha

I'm feeling so cranky today.  It might be PMS or maybe it's editing (sometimes I hate editing, especially when it gets in the way of writing.) or maybe it's good old November Slump.

What is November Slump?  Well, it's a lot of things.  It's the 2 weeks before my birthday.  I'm turning 34 this year and for some reason that seems worse than 30, 31, 32, 33, AND 35.
It's the time right before the holidays start: crazy shopping, busy streets, people EVERYWHERE... which makes the introvert in me sooo  twitchy.  There is a REASON I'm a writer, people!
It's the worst season of bookselling for me.  I know, seems weird, right?  I mean, there are a LOT of authors who spare no testimony when describing their success of November and December.  But for whatever reason, my books are more like Summer Vacation and Back-To-School books.  I've been doing this for 2 years and thus far, my best months are April through September.  The worst are October, November and December.
It's the last few days of Nano, which always makes me mad for some reason.  Pressure to perform?  Even though I swore to myself I wasn't going to get that this year, I seem to have been bitten by the performance bug anyway.

Whatever it is, I hope it leaves soon.  In the meantime, I'm going to skip the editing today and do some writing, because that's where my heart is.

Happy writing, ROW80ers  and Happy Reading, everyone else!

No comments: