Sunday, December 11, 2011

Accidental Death

First, a confession... not much written on the book this week.  I've been working overtime on Christmas prep.  I may as well give up, because the rest of December is going to be just as crazy.  Not to mention the fact that I just got the new Kindle Touch for an early Christmas present.  It is much easier for me to use than the regular Kindle (I guess I'm just lazy, hahaha) and I've been squirreling away books using my birthday money.

I had a hard week with writing, I'll admit.  Not just because of the Christmas rush.  I had to kill off a character this week.  I was determined not to do it in this series, because I HATE it when my favorite characters die in books.  Even in George's books.  But despite my resolution, one of my favorite characters died this week.  I was sick to my stomach and as heartbroken as if I had seen it happen in front of me.

My brother scoffed at me when I was relaying my sadness over the loss to my mom (who I talk about ALL my books with).  He couldn't understand how I could "let" that happen.  I'm the author, shouldn't I be in control of what happens?  No.  No, I'm not.  I'm still reeling over it.  When a story takes over, as it does for many writers, I believe, I seem to have no control over some things that happen.  Editing only goes so far and only when I know that a story line gone off on the wrong track.

So, that was hard.  As I said, this was a much loved character for me and I'm sooo sad.  Oh, and sorry if that is too spoilery for anyone.  (Claudia)  So writers, does the story take over for you, or are you in control of everything that happens?  Have you ever had to kill off a character you loved?  Or readers, have you ever lost a character you love?

I meant to write an entry on my favorite cliches, but I don't have the heart today, so maybe I'll write a Wed. entry for a change!

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Nadja Notariani said...

I have not had this happen to me yet...but I've heard from quite a few authors that it will.

I don't know how I feel about that...ha! Hope you feel better today about it all....I get attatched to my characters, too.

Vicki Keire said...

I haven't had this happen to me either, but even the smaller losses affect me terribly sometimes- like someone being sick or injured or losing their powers. It's amazing how much we can feel for our characters, but for me it's part of what make it worth it. (Maybe I'm a masochist!) I'm so sorry you went through htis, and I hope you feel better soon!

alberta ross said...

no I've not killed a favourite yet - but I have had characters take over - maybe their sense of self survival is stronger than me - I do nasty things to them often but they wriggle free!!!

all the best for this week