Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Another Wednesday, Another Wordcount

Things are progressing here, although never as quickly as I want them too.  I have managed to stay above my original goal this week, realizing that I forgot to take into account weekends and things like Mother's Day when I made my goal.  Mother's Day is the one day I get to sleep in, and I took it!  Which meant, no writing on Sunday.  :)
But, in the past couple of weeks, I've gotten my word count for Aeris up to 13,528, so I feel accomplished.  I'm hoping to double that by the end of the week (a pipe dream, I know, but it's good to have goals!) and really get some work done on this novel.
It just occurred to me, laying in bed last night with new baby kicking the crap out of my ribs... I'm going to be out for the count when this new kid gets here.  I will be off schedule and exhausted, probably barely keeping my head above the water.  There will be little to no time for writing.  That's why I need to get Aeris (and hopefully some of the next book after that) written out and to my beta readers before new baby gets here.
I keep telling myself that it's okay to breathe a little and let things happen.  Compis has only been out for a week, after all.  It hasn't had time to build up ANY kind of audience.  That kind of thing takes months and months.  Six Keys is just now starting to really gain readers, so I shouldn't be crazy about the quick writing.  On the other hand, I think about how my life is going to change AGAIN in 4 mths, and I get all anxious inside.
So I guess the key here is to the let anxiety work for me, and produce the kinds of word counts I want to see.
Let's hope!

I have a review of Blake Crouch's RUN, but right now, I'm too busy trying to get my garden started to worry about such things.  So I'll take a rain check until Sunday.  Happy reading!  (And writing!)

5 comments:

cleemckenzie said...

Impressive word count. Without ROW80 I don't think I'd have much done on my WIP. I need a push all the way to the end of this novel.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the impending arrival! And don't worry. You'd be surprised at how many things you can get done when a baby finally goes to sleep and you can't. :) Have a wonderful week!

Nadja Notariani said...

As the mother of five, I'll let you know that you will be amazed at how quickly you slide into a routine. The first two weeks will let you and your little one's personality sync into familiar patterns, and after that, you'll be fine.
I find that the tighter my schedule, the more organized I become (out of necessity), and therefore the more productive I become. Don't know if that works for everyone, but it's my 'dollop' of encouragement to you! ~ Nadja

DarkWyvern said...

Nice work on the word count! I struggle enough to be productive with my part time job and academic work, no way I'd be able to manage it with kids as well lol As other commenters have said, though, once you have less time, you'll probably end up using the time you do have more productively.

Claudia Lefeve said...

Don't forget you have a willing beta reader right here! I can't wait to get my hands on Aeris :)

And I'm sure you'll have more time than you think to write. There are more moms as writers than there are childless ones!