Sunday, May 22, 2011

ROW Wrod Cnout Check-in

No, no, I spelled them wrong on purpose.  Please don't leave me a bunch of comments telling me that I'm a big dummy. :)

I'm at 27,200 words.  Argh.  I just want to hit 30,000 already!!!  Of course, by this time last book, I was almost done with the gathering and this time, it's just started.  It's kind of like the 4th Harry Potter book, where you don't even get to Hogwarts until like 200 pages in.  There is a lot of stuff I left unresolved in Compis that has to be taken up right away in Aeris.  Some of the stuff with the characters is going differently than I planned, as well. Nikka and Zyander finally get to see each other again (they're pretty much my power couple), but circumstances weren't how I planned that they would be.  And now I have two other characters who've decided to make their own storyline -soooo did not plan on that.  Such are the hazards when you write a story from three different viewpoints.  :)

This blog is usually about my reading habits and not my writing habits, so what have I been up to?  Well, nothing has really grabbed me lately.  *sigh*  I got a bunch of freebies, but besides Matchmakers 2.0, I've been having some troubles.  Which isn't to say the books suck... I'm just, listless, I guess.  Demon Girl starts out good, but it's heavy on the British slang, which I'm not used to, so it's been hard for me to read, even though the premise and the protagonist are both really interesting.  I'm also reading The Weight of Blood by David Dalglish and even though the writing is excellent —pretty much the perfect blend of prose and story— I'm not super keen on the main characters (at least the only ones I've been introduced to thus far).  I'm a mom.  It's hard for me to be on the side of a character that kills kids(that's not really a spoiler, it happens within the first few chapters).  I want to keep reading and see if things change somehow or there is another character that comes along to challenge this one, but so far, I'm going to have to recommend this book more to guys than girls.  If you're a big Terry Goodkind fan, you'll probably really enjoy this series.  It's really dark, for fantasy, although not super gory detailed, which I appreciate after reading Goodkind.

My cousin gave me a STACK of books to read, (she's 15, and so she reads a lot of the stuff I'm into) so I'll probably start in on those, along with whatever I read on my Kindle at the gym.  I guess it's true what they say, "If you want it done right, do it yourself."  My books are pretty much what I want (and like) to read.  Kick-butt girls, guys that aren't wimpy, but aren't total asshats, and a storyline that doesn't make me want to vomit.  Character growth is good, let's add a lot of that, and minor characters that are well fleshed out.  Also good. Perfect, probably not.  Everyone's cup of tea -not if you liked Shiver. hahaha

Happy Reading!

4 comments:

C.Farrell said...

I hope 30k doesn't take too long!

I've read those same freebies. It's always nice to try out new writers, worth it when you find a gem.

Claudia Lefeve said...

Glad you are plugging away! Of course I'm biased...I want Aeris out soon :)

Happy Odd Girl said...

Sounds like a good word count to me! Hope you soon reach the watershed you're looking forward to, though. :)

I also write the kind of stuff I like to read. :) And most of your criteria sound good to me! :D

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :) Can't seem to sign in from that blog, though, so am having to use my other one as ID! :D

Deniz Bevan said...

Good luck on your word count! Oooh, a stack of books, that sounds like lots of fun.