Sunday, April 7, 2013

I am Invincible!

Well, no, not really.  This is more like me:

I don't get it.  I try so hard to be tough, but in the end, I have a knot in my stomach and the blazing cheeks of someone who'd just gotten told off.

Have you ever met a meany in real life?  They're rare, in my personal experience.  I have to be careful in my descriptions here, because I don't want to make it seem like I'm picked on or that my minor experience is somehow more tragic than someone who has really been bullied.

I can stick with the word meany, though.  Meanies like to be above the rules.  Meanies like to be in charge.  Meanies are vindictive and boy did I run into one on Friday.
I won't go into details, but if you don't know me, let me assure you... I'm not the type of girl who enjoys public confrontation.  In fact, I will pretty much do anything to avoid it.  But when a meanie went out of his way to ruin my day on Friday, I found myself wanting to never go back to that place again.  I wanted to change my whole routine to avoid him, because I suspect, having been given a rather large dose of his vindictiveness, he will go out of his way to make my day hell again.

Sometimes, I wish I was invincible.

It made me think about this book I'm reading right now called, "To Name the Wind."  I've heard a whole lot of good things about Patrick Rothfuss, and I greatly admire his sense of humor... but his book is so dark!  So dark that I wish I could find more evidence of the humor in it.
In any case, I read about this main character and how he comes up against his own meanie.  And like me, he absolutely refuses to back down.  Except that he can't avoid the guy, he sees him everyday.  And so a vicious cycle ensues where the MC and the meanie have a throwdown every freaking day and the meanie basically makes his life a living hell, because he's rich and powerful and has a flipping lot of connections.
And I just get so exasperated with MC, because I end up feeling like he's just an idiot!  Why poke the bear over and over again.  I mean, I get the impulse and the guy is basically the world's worst human being... but you aren't gonna win!
Should he give up, then?  Should the meanie be allowed to triumph?  It's such an interesting question to try and answer in a book.  I'm not sure this is the right book in which to answer it, but there it is.

How do you deal with meanies, when you come across them?  Do you rise above?  Do you ignore them?  Do you avoid them?  I think I'll definitely be avoiding next time around, because I don't enjoy feeling shaken and weak afterward.

On a lighter note, I decided to join up with Camp Nano, which is pretty much basically ROW80 on a different website and without blogs.  But you can pick a word goal and you have cabin mates to cheer you on, and you get to see a nice little chart that shows where you're at and how far it is to reach your goal, which is always nice.

It did help, as I got a few thousand words written last week.  Yay for me.  Little C. has some kind of cold that has led him to not sleeping, so boo for that.  Seriously can't wait till cold and flu season is OVER!!!

That's all for me.  Hope all my fellow ROWers are doing well and meeting their goals!
Happy Reading!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you had to deal with someone like that. I can honestly say I've been very privileged in my life not to have to deal with mean people. Yeah, I've had a few obnoxious phone customers, but I can usually calm them down. So it makes me very sad that people have to deal with meanies. :( I hope that all gets worked out for you so that you're not unhappy.

Good luck with both ROW80 and Camp NaNo! And I hope the little one gets well soon.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I was bullied as a kid, so I know all about meanies! I'm thankful that was a long time ago, and it's rare to encounter adults who are like the twit you had to deal with. I do the same thing - avoid whenever possible! It's just not worth it. Good job on the 1000 words! Any progress is good!