Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Twelve Plagues of Christmas...

I had quite the interested Christmas holiday this year and in honor of the horror, I have composed a remake of a beloved Christmas Carol to illustrate it.

Ahem...

On the first day of Christmas, my sister gave to me...
A flu bug from Texas for me!

On the second day of Christmas, my sister gave to me...
Two sleepless nights (thanks to my sick infant)
and a flu bug from Texas for me!

On the third day of Christmas, my sister gave to me...
Three hacking coughs, Two sleepless nights,
and a flu bug from Texas for me!

On the fourth day of Christmas, my sister gave to me...
Four days of fever, Three hacking coughs, Two sleepless nights,
and a flu bug from Texas for me!

On the fifth day of Christmas, my sister gave to me...
Five hours of waiting (in the ER for lung Xrays of my infant), Four days of fever, Three hacking coughs, Two sleepless nights and a flu bug from Texas for me!

Let's just skip to the end now, shall we...

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my sister gave to me...
Twelve stranded days with the in-laws (they're actually very nice), Eleven books read on kindle, Ten cans of Lysol, Nine Kleenex boxes, Eight hours driving home, Seven days of meds, Six fleeing relatives, Five hours of waiting, Four days of fever, Three hacking coughs, Two sleepless nights and a flu bug from Texas for me!

So yeah, my sister gave us the plague and WHAT A PLAGUE it was.  I literally did nothing but hold New Baby for about five days straight, as he was MISERABLE and wanted nothing to do with anyone but Mama. Poor little guy.  My oldest son was sick for about 24 hours total, but has a lovely cough as a souvenir and so do I, for that matter.  Today is pretty much the first day that I have been able to get out of bed and do anything worth talking about.

So I got zero writing done.  The good news is, even in my feverish state, I managed to get work for Aeris done.  I recited my story outline of Luka's final chapters over and over until I had it memorized.  I came up with a rewrite plan for Zyander that is seriously KICK ASS -so excited to start that, which is a major breakthrough for me.  I didn't think I could be so excited about a book after Compis, I loved that book so much, but Aeris is shaping up to be killer and man am I proud of all the hard work I've put in this year!  It's taken much longer than I planned, but it will be a better book for it, and I'm hoping that my two or three edits, plus the final proofing and formatting won't take too long.

I've got the cover, had that since the summer and as soon as my first draft of Aeris is done, I will show it here, as a mini-celebration.  My sister surpassed herself, yet again.  And I have other, exciting news that I will reveal then, as well.  It's going to be a good year for me, and I hope it will be for all of you!

This will be my first year of ROW that I get to do the WHOLE year and I am just shocked at how many people have signed up this year.  It used to be a teeny tiny group and now it's in the hundreds!  This is thanks to Kait and all of the great authors who support each other and bring on the positive feedback.  I've met so many great authors this year and made a lot of great friends.  Look forward to meeting more of you!

-Happy Reading!

No comments: